Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday's Post (6/13/2012)

Words of the Day

1.      Repose – (n) Origin: 1425–75; late Middle English reposen  (v.) < Middle French reposer, Old French  < Late Latin repausāre,  equivalent to Latin re- re-  + Late Latin pausāre  to rest (derivative of Latin pausa pause);  the state of reposing or being at rest; rest; sleep; peace; tranquility; calm; dignified calmness, as of manner; composure; absence of movement, animation, etc. (From Siren by Cheryl Sawyer)

2.      Benighted – (adj) Origin: 1565–75; benight (be-  + night) + -ed2; intellectually or morally ignorant; unenlightened; overtaken by darkness or night. (From Siren by Cheryl Sawyer)

A Slice of Life
Inspiration: The concept of forbidden love.  As a forewarning, this story will be slightly more intense than most romantic scenes than I’ve written, but considering what I’ve written on Fanfiction.net, this may seem watered down in comparison. Enjoy!
Just a Number
            It was back again, that twinge she couldn’t seem to ignore whenever he was around.  It started low and slowly climbed until the uncomfortable heat nipped at her collar.  Her face was flushed she knew—it always was around him.  Annamarie licked her lips silently, stalking the object of her affection.
             Does he even know how much I yearn for his touch . . .? How often I dream of that body against my own?
            “Hey, David.  Need help finding something?”  Her insides twisted in anticipation of his affirmative answer.
            “That’d be nice.”  He flashed a dazzling smile that entranced her the first time—hell, every time then began to navigate through the aisles.
            “Be right over.” 
She turned to her reflection in the glass display and fluffed her dark, wavy, shoulder-length locks to fall against her tanned cheeks.  She batted her eyelashes twice, three-times and gave herself reflected self a wink.  She unhitched the latch that corralled her behind the convenience store counter and locked the front door.  They were the only ones in the store and if she wasn’t manning the register at the front then anyone could walk out with merchandise and she’d be none the wiser.  Of course, her mind needed a whole lot of convincing on that front.
Face it girl, you love the idea of being alone with him and locking that door that ensures that it remains that way.
Annamarie attempted in vain to sweep her thoughts to the side, but they kept resurfacing, taunting her with a painful truth; she’d planned this.  By midnight the store emptied out, leaving her with hours upon hours of staring at neatly arranged displays.  She locked the doors at this time so she could clean the store and handle back stock.  Every Thursday, though, she kept the door unlocked, especially for him.  He got off of work patrolling the local construction site and always stopped in to pick up dinner before heading home to sleep for the day.  It became the highlight of her week and she instantly fell for his charming smile and subtle jokes.
And now my original infatuation has turned into an intense yearning I can no longer ignore . . .
She found him in the back, head stuck in a freezer, surveying the TV dinner selection.  Her eyes traced the outline of his hips, thighs and calves stuffed into faded blue jeans before resting on his upper body dressed in a white tank. 
What I wouldn’t give to run my hands along those glossy muscles and . . .
“What should I go for tonight? Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and peas or Salisbury steak with rice and beans?”
David’s words startled her out of her dark fantasy and she stared blankly at his selection.
“Neither.  I’ll show you my favorite.” 
Annamarie joined him at the open freezer and had to squeeze past him to take a closer look.  She could feel his eyes on her without even looking; it unnerved her, excited her and intensified the flame of tension he always ignited with her.
“Let’s see . . . We should still have some in-stock.” 
After a minute more of searching, she came up empty and backed out of the freezer.  She let out a small sound of surprise when she reversed into David.  In that moment she felt every contour of his upper body pressed flush against her back.  It sent ripples of pleasure up and down her spine and she wanted to prolong the contact—for all eternity.  She drew away, reluctantly, breath held tight.  She wasn’t prepared for the spark she found gleaming in his intense gray eyes.  Something had changed; something critical, something that would take their relationship to the next level; it was something she wanted desperately.
“Let me go check in the back freezer.” She turned on her heel, a flush once again warming her face.
What the hell did I say that for? Now the moment’s gone! But who the hell am I kidding? Nothing was going to happen? Why would he be interested in a girl ten years younger than him?
The fury at her cowardice echoed in her heavy footfalls as she made her way to the back marked by an Employees Only sign at its door.  She pushed it open and went to the first freezer on her right, searching through its stock for the TV dinner.  When she found it she shut it soundly, fighting the tears that were threatening to spill.
What could he possibly see in a girl like me? I’m such a fool—damned fool.
Annamarie swiped at her watering eyes, trying to rid her face of any remnants of her meltdown. 
No use in looking like a blubbering fool in front of him.
She took in a deep breath and headed for the exit as prepared as she ever was to face him.  She wasn’t expecting him to be waiting for her at the doorway and ran right into his chest, sending the TV dinner skittering beneath one of the shelves.
“D-David . . .”
Before she could say more his lips were there against her own, fierce and unyielding.  Whatever she wanted to say fled her mind to be replaced by thoughts of how soft his lips were, how wonderful he tasted, how right this felt and how she never wanted it to end.  Something akin to a whine left her, swallowed by the plundering of his lips, brought on by his hand splayed warmly against her lower back.
Then just as suddenly as it began it was over.  The warmth that had consumed her in that moment left her, swept away by a cool wind of awkwardness that hadn’t existed before.
“David . . .”
“I . . . I’m sorry . . . That never should have happened.  I-I have to go.”
Annamarie watched his retreating form, wishing she had enough courage to make him stay.

To Be Continued . . .

Writer’s Corner

            Do you have a creative space, what authors of Writing Fiction for Dummies, Randy Ingermanson and Peter Economy defines as the place where you produce your written work?  This space should be clutter free, complete with a desk and chair with excellent back support and all resources related to your writing and research within easy access.  This includes dictionaries, file cabinets with your work-in-progress, a bookcase chock full of reference books to help you polish your prose to perfection and perhaps some motivation pieces to help you along your way. 
My own creative space (incomplete as stands) consists of a laptop desk, a foldable chair (soon to be replaced by a more comfortable one) and my writing wall.  Posted there, I have the contract I signed for my incomplete BIAM (book in a month) project as well as a statement declaring myself as a writer taken from Writing Fiction for Dummies, my BIAM goals and the Where I am as a Writer piece I posted as one of my earlier pieces on this blog.  Below that I have my BIAM calendar and my two motivation pieces: “Laurell K. Hamilton did it and so CAN YOU!” and “Keep at it and you will achieve your goal.  Giving up is no longer an option.”
            I hope in the near future, for my first real book project, to move my space down into my basement (the only quiet space in my household with little distraction) where I plan to produce my prose worthy of publishing.  It will be my first manuscript and I’m very excited to get started.
            What’s your creative space like? Is it similar to what I or the authors of WFD described?  How do you think having a proper creative space in your home affects your writing? Share your thoughts in the comments down below.

Useful Links
1.      Description: A how-to guide on submitting short stories.  (http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/how-to-submit-short-stories?et_mid=543522&rid=232935610)

2.      Description: Some creative ways to revive a dead manuscript.  (http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/how-to-resurrect-a-stalled-manuscript?et_mid=541174&rid=232935610)

3.      Description: How author Ashley Ream plans her life around her writing.  Her advice to all writers with overly busy lives. (http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/guide-to-literary-agents/how-to-write-a-book-when-youre-really-really-busy?et_mid=548945&rid=232935610)

3 comments:

  1. Catbluecurious3

    Marlena,
    Why the cliffhanger? :( That's all! It can't be over already. I was so interested. Any romance gets me hooked. I liked the way you made the story seem like a hostage sitaution when the girl locked the door wanting to be alone with him. That got my heart racing becuase it was a mystery as what she will do with him behind closed doors. Is there a part two to the story? Why did he have to leave so soon right when she was making her move on him? If a guy did that to me I would be upset with him and demand to know why he had to bail like that. I think you should work on the character development better just so we get a n idea of why he had to leave in a rush. Maybe if we knew more about him we can get a better idea of why he didn't stay as i think every guy would have stayed if they thought they can get some from the girl. Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. I intend to complete this story sometime this week. Believe me, I had fun writing it and can't wait to get back to it. I agree that more of him needs to be there and I may consider writing from David's POV. Thanks so much for the comment. I really appreciate it. I hope that Part 2 will live up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful beginning to a promising story. XD

    ReplyDelete