Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Slice of Life


A Slice of Life

Inspiration: We all have those frustrating disagreements with our parents especially when we reach certain points in our lives.  Here’s a piece based on one instance.  Enjoy!

Growing Pains

            “Your move, Dad.”
            Lira Walsh sat across from her Dad, Jay Walsh Sr., waiting for him to ease his piece across the checker board, right into the trap she had set for him.
            After all these years, at last I’ll be able to beat him.
            She tried not show her impatience and instead, occupied her mind with the news she had intended to share with him when she had made plans to visit him this afternoon.  Sunshine reflected off her dark tresses and she shifted, creating a curtain to shield her sensitive eyes.  She was glad that she remembered to apply a generous amount of sunscreen to her quick-to-burn pale skin.  Of course that did nothing to ease the heat that had trapped itself there on the porch.
            Lira swiped at a bead of sweat that began its trek down the middle of her forehead and leaned forward, concentrating on the placement of the pieces on the board.  So far she had three Kings on the board and had two double jumps and a triple jump set up that would afford her yet another King.
            Come on Dad . . . There’s not much else you can do . . .
            Jay hesitated a moment before making his move, one that left Lira gaping at the board.  She looked from him to the board in amazement, unable to control her bafflement.
            “H-how . . . How in the world  . . . ? I thought I had you this time!”
            Lira continued to stare at the board then directed her attention to her Dad, who sat with a smug expression spread across his features.  Even his posture, she noted, held an ease that unnerved her.
            “How did you do that?”  This time Lira’s words held a chill criticism, belying her belief that some dishonesty was afoot.
            “It’s all about experience, my dear.  Nothing in the world trumps it.” 
            Lira held his gaze, watching as he scratched his chin peppered with the silver and gray strands of curling beard hair.  His noncommittal answer infuriated her, but she wouldn’t allow him to see how much it bothered her.
            If he thinks he can win, he’s wrong.  I still have the upper hand, even if he managed to avoid all my traps.
            “I believe it’s your turn, Leelee.”       
Lira winced at the sound of her childhood nickname, but said nothing as she focused her attention on the layout of the board.  After careful consideration, she placed her fingers on her selected piece and proceeded to slide it to her desired position.  Jay cleared his throat and she paused in her motion, fingers still resting on the piece.
“What?”  The irritation was plain both on her face and in her voice.
“Oh, nothing, I just thought that moving that piece might not be the best idea.”
“And why not?”
“No reason, or at least no reason that you’re aware of just yet.”
Lira growled low in her throat then completed her move.  She sorely wished she hadn’t as Jay put his plan into motion.  By the time he was done, two of her Kings had been captured and she only had two pawns to work with.
I can’t believe this! I really thought I had him this time.
“Anytime, Leelee; you can make a move anytime.”
Lira eyed Jay’s smug expression with one of contempt before returning her attention to the hopeless situation before her.
Well if I’m going to lose horribly, I might as well share my news with him while he’s in a good mood.
Lira toyed with her piece a moment, shifted uncomfortably then forced herself to make contact with Jay.
“So, Dad, about Eric . . .”
“What about him? He’s a nice boy.”
“Yeah . . . I’m so glad you think so—very glad, in fact.”
“And why’s that?” 
Jay gave Lira a considering look; she hoped her emotionless look was able to combat any of his suspicions.
“Well, you see . . . He proposed last night . . .”
Lira whispered the last, but she knew from his vantage point that Jay could hear her.  He said nothing at first, which frightened her far more than any outburst of anger.
“Look, Leelee, I know you’re twenty-three and old enough to make your own adult decisions, but don’t you think things are moving a little too fast?”
“Maybe for you, but I’m totally ready for this.”
“But you’ve only been together for a year.  How can you possibly know for sure that you want to spend the rest of your life with him when you barely know him?”
“I know enough.”  Lira’s voice lowered in warning and belligerence was already boiling hotly beneath her skin.
“You don’t understand.  Knowing a person from a distance is a lot different from knowing someone when you share the same space.  Everyone behaves differently at home than they do with others.  Are you prepared?”
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“It has something to do with everything!”  Jay’s brow furrowed in exasperation, and Lira knew without looking that her face was contorted with a similar expression.
“What do you know about relationships and how they work?  Mom left you for another five years into your marriage and you don’t seem to regret a single day you’ve spent without her.  How can you preach to me about how relationships work if you couldn’t keep one of your own alive?”
The instant the words were out of her mouth, Lira wished she could take them back.  They echoed inside her head with guilty conviction.  Her heart ached as she watched Jay’s expression melt from anger to one of pain.
“I’m only telling you this because I know what it’s like not to know the one you’re with and end up destroying the relationship because of that.  I loved your mother with all my heart and we married too young, too soon, and found out how incompatible we were.  Things just fell a part from there . . .”
Jay stood, towering over Lira by a foot.  To Lira, he seemed so much older in that moment.  Sadness was not an emotion Lira had ever known Jay to openly express.  She wanted to apologize, but the words remained lodged in her throat.
“I’m in no way going to interfere with your life and the decisions you make.  I just want you to be happy.  That’s all a father could ever want for his daughter.”
Lira watched helplessly as he packed away the checkers board and pieces and went inside the house, shutting the door softly behind him.

-END-

Author’s Notes: So what are your thoughts on disagreements between parents and their adult children? Share your thoughts and comments.  I hope you enjoyed this Slice of Life piece.  Thanks again for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Catbluecurious3
    I like this story and at first i started reading it I thought it was a child playing chess wigth their father not a 23 years old. I was suprised that she was twenty three. and she found time to play with her father. I think that is a great bond to have with someone that no matter how old you get you are never too old to spend time with your parents. I still do that as well but don't tell anyone! I think the story is great but there is a little character development and it maybe because its your first draft but thats okay. I think the less character developement you had kind of put more thinking and wondering into the story itself. For example, the way you started the story off made me think a child was playing chess but then you come in with a suprise as to the girls age. I think the story's imagery is very well written I can see everything clearly including the sweat on the girl's forehead which made me think of how hot is will be today 90 degrees Ouch! I am not going outside today lol. I think the father could show more emotion towards the fact that his daughter wants to get married so quick. I read that and i was thinking of how my father would act he would probably say to me are you out of your mind you are so very young, You know how many marriages fail because they get married too young? or something along the lines of freaking out. That is how i think you can make it better only because she barely knows him. How long have they known each other? Where and how did they meet? I think the story is great. Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete